The density of titanium 4.506~ 4.516 g/cm³ (20 ℃). The specific strength ranks first among metals. Melting point to 1668 + 4 ℃, boiling point to 3260 + 20 ℃. Titanium has plasticity, the elongation of high purity titanium can reach 50-60%, the reduction rate of section can reach 70-80%, but the strength is low, not suitable for structural materials.
Impurities in titanium have great influence on its mechanical properties, especially interstitial impurities (oxygen, nitrogen, carbon) can greatly improve the strength of titanium and significantly reduce its plasticity.
Titanium as a structural material has good mechanical properties, is through strict control of the appropriate content of impurities and alloy elements to achieve.
Characteristics of industrial pure titanium:
(1) The density is small and the specific strength is high: Titanium density of 4.51g/cm3, about half of steel or nickel alloy. Higher specific strength than aluminum alloy and high alloy steel.
(2) Small thermal conductivity: Titanium has a small thermal conductivity, which is 1/5 of low carbon steel, and 1/25 of copper.
(3) Non-magnetic, non-toxic: Titanium is a non-magnetic metal that is not magnetized in a large magnetic field, non-toxic and has good compatibility with human tissues and blood.
(4) Strong anti-damping performance: After being subjected to mechanical vibration and electrical vibration, titanium has the longest vibration decay time compared with steel and copper.
(5) Strong heat resistance: Titanium is classified as a high temperature resistant metal due to its high melting point.
(6) Low temperature resistance: It can maintain good toughness and plasticity at low temperatures, and is an ideal material for cryogenic vessels.
(7) High gettering performance: Titanium is very reactive and easily reacts with carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen at high temperatures.
(8) Good corrosion resistance: In the air or oxygen-containing medium, a dense, strong adhesion and large inert oxide film is formed on the surface of the titanium to protect the titanium substrate from corrosion.